Music Theatre Wales seeks Music Makers for Youth Consultation Project
Monday 11th November 2019, 12pm
£1600 plus travel expenses
One position - Mold, North Wales
One position - Newport, South Wales
Music Theatre Wales is undertaking a new strand of work. With a strong history of using modern opera to tell stories, we aim to connect with and challenge audiences in Wales, the UK and internationally, exploring ideas and issues that are relevant in today’s world.
With the support of Arts Council of Wales, MTW will launch its first Creative Consultation with young people with two residencies; one in Mold (North Wales) and one in Newport (South Wales). We know young people can and should form a vital part of our future audiences and we welcome their input on how we develop our work.
The residencies are built around our new work Denis & Katya by Philip Venables and Ted Huffman, which explores how we shape and share stories in an age of 24/7 social media.
Residencies run Mid-February until early April 2020.
Music Makers will
- Co-deliver 6 weekly 2-3 hour sessions with a theatre-based Lead Facilitator
- Attend one performance of MTW’s Denis & Katya with the group
- Support young people in any music creation throughout the project
- Plan and evaluate with Lead Facilitator and Consultation Producer
- Must have some facilitation experience of working with young people.
- Must be able to provide a current Enhanced Child Workforce DBS certificate.
- We are actively seeking Welsh-speaking Music Makers in both locations.
- Access to transport desirable as needed.
By Music Maker, we mean anyone who creates/composes music for their income. We are looking to expand our pool of musicians we work with, and actively welcome interest from individuals who work across all genres of music who may not usually consider working with an opera company.
The young people will not be expected to have any music training, so music-making will be digital rather than instrument-based.
Please send a copy of your CV, a short cover letter explaining why this project excites you and any relevant experience you can bring. Please include links of two pieces of music you have been the lead creator of – but don’t worry about recording quality, a clear sound from camera/phone microphone is ideal.
Applications should be sent to Michael McCarthy: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Creative Consultation’ by Monday 11th November 2019, 12pm.